Friday, February 15, 2013

Restarting my running training...

I want to talk about a particular aspect of being good at something - the fact that if you stop doing it, after some time you actually lose form and start getting worse than you have previously been. That makes it all the harder to start again.

Last year I started running regularly, following a specific training plan, and even improved quite well, going from barely being able to wheeze out 5km in 30', to running half-marathons and doing 5km in 22'. After about 4 months of intensive training, I failed to recognize the need for long-term planned training, including recovery periods, and had a burn out. Now it's half a year later and I still haven't reached the same level of training control as during those 4 months.

Here is the list of arguments, that kept me from returning to my previous training ambitions:
  1. I had burn out, and couldn't run near the times and distances that I could during my previous training. (later i realized this was normal, and was just a sign, that I needed to take it easy for a month or so, running slowly and shorter distances, before beginning again with intensive training)
  2. I wanted to switch to triathlon training, which included bicycle and swimming training units, thus I couldn't naturally run as much as I did previously. (In theory true, but in effect I only swam and biked in alteration once a week. Thus I just trained less, running 1-3 times a week.)
  3. I was very occupied at home and work, and didn't have the piece of mind to simply start training properly again. 
  4. By now I was losing form, and thought that I shouldn't train so much as I had planned - so I let planned training units drop away.
  5. Then it got cold during Winter.
  6. I got sick.
  7. I weigh 6kg more than 3 months ago. My knee hurts a bit when I run. I can't sprint even just 400m.

But there's light at the end of the tunnel :P !
I miss running, and I miss feeling strong & healthy.

So even though I couldn't run 10km enjoyably and can't get a speed of more than 8km/h without killing myself, I am restarting my training.

I found a plan, that helps. But in the end I just want to get back to running.

Here's my plan for running every 2 days and improving my condition over time. I'll keep posting on how I'm getting on with it (by highlighting in green what I've done):

Walk/Jog progression: 

Day 0:

  1. 5' walk/1' jog (x5)
  2. 4' walk/2' jog (x5)
  3. 3' walk/3' jog (x5)
  4. 2' walk/4' jog (x5)
  5. 1' walk/5' jog (x5)
  6. 30' jog
Day 13:
  1. 30'
  2. 30'
  3. 30'
  4. 35'
  5. 30'
  6. 30'
  7. 35'
  8. 35'                                      14. 35'                                      20. 45'
  9. 30'                                      15. 40'                                      21. 45'
  10. 35'                                      16. 40'                                      22. 45'
  11. 35'                                      17. 40'
  12. 35'                                      18. 45'
  13. 40'                                      19. 40'
Day 39...

... after 3 months I will be running 45' at a solid pace, my legs and body being accustomed to running again, without over-doing my training with any such things such as interval-training, progressions, or long-distance running.
So hopefully for this summer, I can start my next dream of successfully preparing and completing a marathon, and maybe even some triathlon competitions.

I want to get back to running, and go about it in a smart way that won't execute my body, but ensures my long-term happiness instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment