Friday, February 15, 2013

The power of "Just start doing it"

Generally, when I identify myself with a task - I think about how to get it done...
I think about it. - the root of all my problems.

I begin imagining all the interesting problems that a task carries with it. I imagine all the fun it would be to solve them. I even categorize into basic stuff that needs to get done, and the fancy stuff that is more of a "nice-to-have-but-not-necessary". But of course, the fancy stuff is what makes this task stand out - it is what appeals to me.
It is the fancy stuff that I identify with. It is what impresses other people, it is what lights a flame of interest and wanting to take part in them. It is the fancy things that represent what I feel and think, which define my individuality and allow for me to be satisfied with what I create.
And thus it happens, that I tend to forget about the basic stuff, since those are "obvious" issues.

But it is the basic aspects that are the heart & blood of anything that needs to get done. Take a look at yourself - when you consume a thing somebody else has created, say, read an article, attend a workshop - the first things that you look for are basic traits, that help you find an orientation and get an entry into whatever topic you're currently dealing with.
These basic things are what opens the door to all the fancy stuff that's hidden behind it. The quality of the basic things is 80% of whatever you are doing.

So just start doing the basic things, and worry about the fancy stuff when you get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment